Home

 

 

Coastal Bend Groundwater Conservation District
P.O. Box 341 / 109 E. Milam / Wharton, TX 77488
(979) 531 - 1412 office / (979) 531-1002 fax
______________________thedistrict@cbgcd.com___________________
 
 
 
NEXT CBGCD MEETING SCHEULED FOR:
 
October 14, 2014 at the Wharton County Commissioners Courtroom located at 309 E. Milam, Wharton, TX 77488
 
 

The Coastal Bend Groundwater Conservation District (CBGCD or District) is a political subdivision of the State of Texas. In a confirmation election held on November 6, 2001, Wharton County voters approved the creation of the District, elected five Directors to the Board of Directors, and approved its authority to assess an ad valorem tax on Wharton County property owners. The District boundaries are the same as the area and extent of Wharton County, Texas, however, on May 8, 2006, property owners from Colorado County, Texas, which does not currently have a GCD, approached the CBGCD Board of Directors to annex approximately 800 acres of their Colorado Co. property into the Coastal Bend District. Their request was approved by the Board of Directors on that same day.

The mission of the Coastal Bend Groundwater Conservation District is to manage and protect the groundwater resources of the District. The District is committed to maintaining a sustainable, adequate, reliable, cost effective and high quality source of groundwater to promote the vitality, economy, and environment of the District. The District will work with and for the citizens of the District and cooperate with other local, regional and state agencies involved in the study and management of groundwater resources. The District shall take no action without full consideration of the groundwater needs of the citizens of the District.

On December 2, 2002, the District opened its office in Wharton and the new General Manager, Neil Hudgins, began working to bring the District into operational status. On April 13, 2004, the board adopted rules that became effective May 15, 2004. The District office is currently staffed by Neil Hudgins and Mandy Bain, and is generally open on weekdays from 8 am - 5 pm except when the staff must perform work away from the office.

The Board of Directors holds regular monthly meetings and the public is encouraged to attend. These meetings are normally held on the second Tuesday of each month at 8 a.m. at either the District Office, 109 E.Milam, Wharton, Texas or at the Wharton County Extension Office located at 210 S. Rusk, Wharton, Texas. The Board Meeting Notices and Agendas are posted in the window of the Wharton County Courthouse in the city of Wharton, the front entrance of Wharton City Hall of the city of Wharton, and at the entrance of El Campo City Hall of the city of El Campo, Texas, at least three days prior to the Board Meeting. Should circumstances require a different meeting time or place; the information will be included in the notices posted in the above mentioned locations. Members of the public may also obtain copies of the Agenda prior to the meeting by coming by the District Office or by FAX or email if requested. (see also “Meetings” page)